The Roles Insects Play in Our Lives
By Debbie Hadley, About.com Guide
- Catching and Keeping Insects
- Garden and Landscape Pests
- Beneficial Insects
- Home and Yard Pests
- Forensic Entomology
Catching and Keeping Insects
If you really want to learn about insects, observe them alive and up close. You'll need to know where to find them, and how to catch and keep your live specimens without harming them.
- Keeping Caterpillars Over the Winter
- 5 Questions to Ask Before You Get a Pet Tarantula
- Most Popular Pet Tarantula Species
Garden and Landscape Pests
From the voracious hornworms to the invasive Japanese beetles, garden pests can be the bane of a gardener's growing season.
- Where Did All These Aphids Come From?
- 12 Worst Veggie Garden Pests (and What to Do About Them)
- How to Control Japanese Beetles
- Controlling Eastern Tent Caterpillars
- Keep Cicadas from Damaging Your Trees
- Controlling Fall Webworm
- The Alien Invasive Problem
- Hemlock Woolly Adelgid
- Asian Longhorned Beetle
- Emerald Ash Borer
- How to Keep Garden Pests from Coming Back Next Year
Not all bugs are bad! Beneficial insects play important roles in the garden. Pollinators turn flowers into fruit, and predators and parasites prey on garden pests.
Home and Yard Pests
Not all bugs that come indoors are pests, but you might not care to share you home with them just the same. And certain insects, like mosquitoes and ticks, can make outdoor activities hard to enjoy.
- 15 Ways to Bug Proof Your Home
- How Did Bed Bugs Make a Comeback?
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs in Hotel Rooms
- Can Fleas Live on People?
- When to Use a Bug Bomb
- 10 Tips to Avoid Bee Stings
- 10 Tips to Avoid Tick Bites
- Controlling Mosquitoes - What Works and What Doesn't
- Get Mosquito Bites - Guaranteed!
- Dealing with Bugs in Firewood
- How to Control Filth Flies
Forensic entomology is the study of insects as they pertain to legal matters, including crimes. Insect evidence can reveal details about a murder that may help put a killer behind bars.
- An Early History of Forensic Entomology
- Determining the Time of Death
- How Insects Can Provide Toxicological Evidence
- What Insects Reveal About Wounds