1. Education
Debbie Hadley

Use Homemade Bait to Get Rid of Sugar Ants

By June 11, 2012

Every now and then, I get an S.O.S. from a reader with a kitchen full of sugar ants. Sugar ants look for sweet foods to gather and bring back to their brood. They're small, and can invade a home through the tiniest cracks or crevices. In most cases, good sanitation practices in the kitchen will discourage them. When sugar ants won't go away, you'll need to step up your game.

A spray insecticide may give you the satisfaction of seeing ants drop dead on your counters, but it's not the best choice for dealing with sugar ants. Baits combine a preferred ant food with an active ingredient that kills the ant after it brings a meal back to the colony to share. The result - the ants you don't see will die as well.

You can make a simple but effective bait using just two ingredients: mint jelly and boric acid. Boric acid is sold in hardware stores or grocery stores. Mix 8 ounces of mint jelly with 2 tablespoons of boric acid. If you have one of those squeeze bottles for condiments, fill it with the mixture for easy application. Otherwise, just store your bait in a jar with a lid.

To bait for ants, place a piece of masking tape in a place where you see a lot of ant traffic. Apply a 1-2 inch ribbon of bait on the masking tape. You should see ants feed on the jelly, then continue on their way back to the colony. Reapply the bait as needed to a fresh piece of masking tape.

If you have pets that might be attracted to the bait, you'll need to keep them out of the area where you are using it.

Not sure if you have sugar ants or some other kind of ants? Read more information on preparing and using homemade ant baits.

Comments

September 23, 2009 at 1:57 pm
(1) Martha says:

Mix a spoonful of sugar, borox soap and water together. Make a lightly liquid paste. Place in the path of the aunts. I recommend placing the mixture on a buisness card, heavy paper, or cardboard because once it dries, it’s hard. A box of borox runs about $5.oo and will last forever!

November 9, 2009 at 11:46 am
(2) bbleitner says:

Terro Liquid Ant Bait is the answer to your problems with ants. Easy to use, Safe for pets and baby’s. Find at you local hardware store. It’s the best.

April 3, 2010 at 2:42 am
(3) ann says:

other things to use are whole cloves, vinegar instead of bleach, an Bay Leaves I use vinegar works wonders may smell a bit, but i have had good luck with it.

June 2, 2011 at 6:55 pm
(4) Tere says:

Cloves are great!! Sprinkle ground cloves around the area where you are having a problem. Smells good, will not hurt your pets, and ants hate it! Cloves are anesthetizing to a small degree, and since ants are dependent on their senses, they will not inhabit an area that has ANY type of “sense confuser”. Bleach, vinegar, borax soap, and products similar to these serve the same purpose – they remove any traces of past behaviour, thus “sense confusion”.

July 16, 2011 at 11:05 am
(5) derrikc says:

I have a 28/38 porch its covered with sugar ants i sprayed straight bleach all over tha porch & when that didnt work i sprinkeled borax acid all over it well tha ants just crawl over it if i catch tha porch on fire it will get rid of them but u know how much it cost me to build it what can i do to get rid of them any sugestions will help ps. tha ants dont bite but im still not 100% sure exactly what kind they are thinks

September 4, 2011 at 6:58 pm
(6) Gwynn says:

We live in a very hot humid climate and our indoor/outdoor house cats shed so much hair we decided to leave them out more and lock them in the garage that leads into the kitchen for night. Looks like at least one of the cats is infected with sugar ants and she brings them in the house when we feed them. We just sprinkled the cats, etc., with ground cloves. Hope this helps. Gwynn

October 6, 2011 at 6:13 am
(7) Sharon says:

The mint jelly/borax solution worked! Within an hour the ants came en masse and you could see them marching to and from the bait. By the next morning they were gone! Thanks for the tip.

October 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm
(8) Froyman says:

The borax/mint jelly mixture work amazingly. We had battled sugar ants unsuccessfully for years before I came to this website. You only need to put a dime sized amount in their trail and they will be all over it by morning. You need to put a new sample out daily as it hardens overnite. Putting it on masking tape works great. The mixture keeps well in the fridge in case a new colony moves in in the future.

October 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm
(9) Donna says:

I’ve been spraying vinegar. I personally like the smell and works for a short time but I can not find were they are coming from. I like the idea of cloves so that’s next.

November 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(10) Kelli says:

Does it have to be mint jelly or would any flavor work?

November 21, 2011 at 7:18 am
(11) CVB says:

Thanks for all the great ideas! Hoping it works before all the Thanksgiving guests arrive.

November 24, 2011 at 12:53 am
(12) Lars says:

The Borax & mint jelly combo worked like a champ! Had sugar ants for over two years on the kitchen table – tried everything, but they just kept coming back. We thought they were coming from the mailbox, because we always set our mail on the table. Left a quarter-sized glob (on business cards) on the table and another in the back of the mailbox. It’s been six months, and haven’t seen a sugar ant since!

December 31, 2011 at 11:02 am
(13) Smart Alec says:

Thanks. I will give this a try.

BTW, don’t kill off your Aunts with this solution despite what Martha mentioned above. :)

January 21, 2012 at 10:42 am
(14) Susan says:

We have been battling sugar ants in our kitchen for the past few months. I have tried vinegar spray but like as has been mentioned before they just keep coming back,ugh! So I can’t wait to try the Borax/Jelly idea! Oh…is that light I see at the end of the sugar ant tunnel???

January 21, 2012 at 4:03 pm
(15) Susan says:

oops..I meant Boric Acid/ Mint Jelly and I have some made up and out for my unwanted little guests

March 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm
(16) Tami says:

I’am wondering where to buy the mint jelly so i can start getting rid of these little boogers, was told they come from peony flowers.is this true does anyone no by chase?

Tami

April 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm
(17) Anne says:

I don’t have any mint jelly so am trying strawberry…. They’re going nuts over it — now to see whether it actually gets rid of them!

April 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm
(18) Kathy C says:

I just made the mix with Strawberry Preserves, and they’re swarming it. If this ends up being the thing that worked, I’ll be amazed!! So easy!!

May 1, 2012 at 7:54 am
(19) Kathy C says:

It worked!!! I had to use strawberry preserves instead of the mint jelly. They LOVED it, and now, two days later, they’re GONE!!! I’m going to keep putting out new baits for a few days just to make sure, but they’re no where in sight. THANK YOU!!!!

May 2, 2012 at 10:46 am
(20) Daniel says:

i use honey to mix with the boric acid and the honey is cheaper than the jelly and they love it just as much. I will also be trying the vinegar around the house and in the attic to keep them away and try planting some cloves around the outside as well. Thanks for the tips

May 14, 2012 at 9:04 am
(21) shonna says:

hello i was wondering if the mint jelly combo would be safe around my 2 year old daughter, and are dog thx.

May 21, 2012 at 7:49 am
(22) Lisa says:

I have sugar ants in the walls of my house, what will work? I have 3 cats and a small indoor dog and all the ant holes are near the skirting boards so not sure what i can use that would be safe for them.

June 6, 2012 at 2:28 am
(23) Tiffany says:

Mixed 2 T Borax w/1cup cheapo strawberry jelly (didn’t know how much I’d need but you can easily cut this in half) and put it out on masking tape in the places the sugar ants had invaded. Upstairs and down. After only ONE night, we were left with one lonely little ant. I’m sure he’s gone home now to die like the rest of them. After battling them for over a year, I have no sympathy! This is the easiest, cheapest solution to sugar ants EVER!

June 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm
(24) MaLinda says:

I read to use white vinegar and not cider vinegar…I tried Terro and I still have ants after 3 days of setting Terro out…I just now spread out ground cloves to see if this will help!! Will let you know how it works!

June 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm
(25) Jay says:

Go to a hardware store and buy “Terro” ant killer. This stuff works fantastically although it takes a few days.

July 12, 2012 at 1:49 am
(26) tg says:

Red chilli powder….red chilli powder…onions….

July 14, 2012 at 11:13 am
(27) Cindy says:

Thanks so much for the mint jelly boric acid recipe. It worked perfectly!

July 15, 2012 at 11:19 am
(28) insects says:

Glad you found it helpful!

August 8, 2012 at 1:06 am
(29) Robyn says:

I have been fighting these damn ants for five days! I couldn’t wait till tomorrow to go get the mint jelly, after reading how people said strawberry jelly worked I got out my only jelly, grape and mixed in some borax , wich I always have on hand because it got rid of my fleas and keep spiders and roaches away. But anyway back to the ants. It has only been 20 minutes and the ants are starting to gather, OMG you have no idea how much I hope and pray this works!! Will let you know the outcome in a few days.

August 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(30) Robyn says:

OK I’m back and with a very big Thank You!!! IT WORKED!!!! The first night there were a lot of ants. For the next two days I wasn’t sure if it was working because there were still some ants coming around, not as many but they were still there, the Next day I still had a few coming around, but only like a dozen or so then…..for the last two days not one single ant can be found. I even found some dead ones upstairs, I had only seen a few there befor but now the only ones I see upstairs are dead.
Thank you so much for this post, now I won’t freak out and be searching all over when I go into the kitchen! I am comfortable in my kitchen again thanks to you.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

August 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm
(31) Robyn says:

By the way, what I used was your jelly and Borax recipe. I forgot to mention that in my previous comment. I had about half a jar of grape jelly so I poured about a tablespoon of Borax in, I used that for the first two days. For the next two days to see if I could attract more I took some of my previous mix and put in another container then added just a little bit of Mrs. Butter-Worths original syrup. I thought maybe if I sweetened it up a bit I could get to a few more and I did.
Thank You, It Works!!!

August 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm
(32) insects says:

You’re welcome. And yes, pretty much anything sweet will work as bait for sugar ants.

August 19, 2012 at 11:07 am
(33) margie says:

We’ve had ants in our kitchen for about a month ! We tried everything and nothing worked until I took the suggestion in this article .My husband cut a cheap paper plate into twenty squares and made traps with a mixture of the boric acid and grape jelly. My goodness , I could not believe the amount of ants that swarmed to the traps, it was so nasty, it made my skin crawl. We got rid of the traps and put new ons down over night. Today there are a few still crawling , but no where near as many. I thank you for the remedy !

August 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(34) insects says:

Glad the bait is working for you!

August 30, 2012 at 7:36 am
(35) Bonnie says:

OMG!!!! This site saved my home and my mind!!! I was overrun with ants. Could not find boric acid anywhere, as luck would have it my local home depot has some sharp folks who told me that hot shot roach killer is 99% boric acid unlike the ant baits, I mixed it with blueberry jam and this is day two and they are GONE!!!!!
Thank you all so very much and anyone who reads this … My hand to God this is the way to go!

September 16, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(36) shellia says:

September 16, 2012 at 8:00 pm
(37) shellia says:

GONE….STRAWBERRY JAM AND BORIC ACID…..AND HERE IS ANOTHER TIP….IF BITTEN BY THESE LITTLE FIRE ANTS…..RATHER THAN GET THE BLISTER……RUSH IN AND GRAB THE CHEAPEST MEN’S COLOGNE YOU CAN FIND AND SPLASH THE AREA WITH IT…..NO BLISTERS AND RELIEVES THE PAIN IMMEDIATELY!!! I AM A TRANSPLANT TO FLORIDA…..BETWEEN THESE CRITTERS AND SAND BURRS I WAS FIT TO GO BACK FROM HENCE I CAME….HOT, HUMID, ALLIGATORS….MAY YET GO BACK TO THE MIDWEST!!!! SOME SAY THEY KILL TERMITES THOUGH……WHOOPTIE DOO!!!

September 29, 2012 at 10:19 am
(38) Patrick says:

Bought the mint jelly for only $1.29, but had trouble finding the boric acid at Home Depot (strange?) Didn’t feel up to searching all night for it, so I picked up some Terro Liquid Ant Bait, which is 5.4% Borox. This is key here for these little bastages, Borox. The traps are clear, and resemble an ant sized olympic swimming pool with a ramp to crawl up on. After only 10 minutes after putting the trap in the line of fire, they eagerly started populating the “pool” like it was a spa from heaven, lining up next to each other, lapping up the deliciousness and then racing home to tell others about their newly found oasis. I could not believe the frequency of ants that were coming out of the woodwork, hundreds and hundreds. It was fascinating to watch them all stirred up and running back and forth. Long story short, the next morning . . . GONE!! You can’t imagine the sigh of relief I made seeing my kitchen counter almost completely void of these scoundrels. I’m sure that the Boric acid and jelly will work, but if you can’t find the acid, Terro was only $6 and worked fantastic ;)

October 4, 2012 at 11:35 pm
(39) Kara says:

You can purchase Boric Acid at your local pharmacy. They may need to order it but I just got it for around $6 at Walgreens.

October 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm
(40) DonnaD says:

I have “protien” ants in my pantry and “sugar” ants on my kitchen counter. I mixed peanut butter and boric acid for the protien ants and sugar water and boric acid for the counter ants…. It seems I had buckets of ants the first day and fewer yesterday. I will keep ypu posted on the progress. I bought my boric acid at the local Dollar Store. $1.00 cant beat a deal like that. Don’t forget to look there.

October 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm
(41) Macaroni4 says:

Use the boric acid with jelly they seem to like it so now I’m trying the Terro, We’ll see what happens.

November 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm
(42) Judy says:

I’ve used Windex (or generic) to kill the ants. Not too harsh and smells decent, but doesn’t keep them away.

December 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(43) Julie says:

We have been overrun with sugar ants since we came back to our Maui condo. I had tried terro before and it worked . This time I watched the ants and they very carefully walked around the terro as if they knew what it was.
This morning I found a box of opened sugar in one of the cupboards. I dumped a bit out and no ants so I dumped the whole container out and the bottom of the box was swarming with them. We took it all to the garbage immediately of course. I guess this was their source of food.
I am going to try the mint jelly and boric acid now to see if I can get rid of them for good. Thanks so much for the idea. :)

December 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm
(44) Bri says:

We have a cat that likes to stare at the trail of ants ( which is usually one of our frat indicator of sugar ants) so I didn’t want to put out anything that could hurt him. I’ve started spraying a diluted dish soap and water solution on the porch where I find their trails. It seems to throw them off for a week or so.

February 26, 2013 at 9:33 am
(45) isfedupwithants says:

I have tried EVERYTHING….except all of ur ideas… but i was wondering if u kill one ant does it smell like chemicals??? We are renting and this house is infested… Can’t stand it much longer…

February 27, 2013 at 11:25 am
(46) Rita says:

I am very excited to go out and buy and try this! We have been battling sugar ants for 3 years….all season…and when they got into my babies perfect jar of expensive baby formula that was the last straw! Ill post my results once I have tried this….Thank you so much!

March 8, 2013 at 2:14 pm
(47) jayne says:

I have grease ants, not sugar ants. Any ideas????

March 8, 2013 at 2:31 pm
(48) insects says:

Jayne, this article includes information on making baits for grease/protein ants as well as sugar ants: http://insects.about.com/od/HouseholdPests/a/How-To-Make-And-Use-Homemade-Ant-Baits.htm

April 4, 2013 at 4:08 pm
(49) J.H. says:

I tried the jelly with the boric acid and boy did it work immedietly. I had battled the problem for 3 years and spend lots of money on store products and nothing worked like this receipi . Thank you..thank you… thank you

April 26, 2013 at 11:42 am
(50) Candace says:

I used half syrup, half honey & boric acid last week & the ants appear to love it so today I increased the amount of boric acid and put it down again. Hopefully it works this time. Is there a difference between boric acid & borax? I didn’t think there was.

June 2, 2013 at 12:20 am
(51) Shannon Pantoja says:

So far the ants are eating the Boric acid mixed with strawberry jelly, and I also mixed coffee creamer with the acid and the ants seem to like that too. I guess we will see what happens. I hope this works.

June 8, 2013 at 8:32 am
(52) rose says:

l used the mint jelly and boric acid last night it did not work, not one ant came but the night before they where all over the corn muffins, so l didn’t have any luck with it.i’ll have to try something else. thanks any way

June 10, 2013 at 12:54 am
(53) Becky says:

Rose, try sugar and cornmeal, I’ve read that they can’t process cornmeal and it will kill them like boric acid

June 13, 2013 at 10:04 am
(54) rose says:

thanks becky they might like that as they did like the corn muffins right now l have ant traps and l haven’t seen any

June 14, 2013 at 11:34 am
(55) Lena says:

We have ants bad so I’m trying the strawberry jam and boric acid. Instead of using masking tape I’m using soda bottle caps so our dogs dont see it and try to eat it and the kids knows not to touch it dont ike the mixure to be out in the open. Hoping it works. well let everyone know in a couple days. ish me luck.

June 19, 2013 at 10:38 am
(56) anteater says:

Tried spraying the ants and nothing would stop them from coming….used the mint jelly and boric acid mixture last night…put on business cards and taped one side to the floor…within a few hours the ants were feasting. I will come back in a few days and let u know if they are all gone.

June 20, 2013 at 6:20 pm
(57) Angela says:

These little buggers have been driving me crazy every Florida summer for three years. It was never a huge issue, I would go through and seal cracks, tape electrical sockets not in use, etc etc. Now they’re terrorizing my daughter’s hamster! Poor thing! We move him around the house and they always find him (and his food). Will using this method attract them more than the hamster food?

June 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm
(58) ktatum says:

I tried the mint jelly and boric acid and yes it worked great thank u.

July 2, 2013 at 11:58 am
(59) David says:

Hi,

Great article and I love the comments. One extra tip:

If people are worried about children or pets being exposed to the solution, then just get a jar and poke some holes in the top big enough for the ants to get through. Put the solution in the jar and this will make the bait safe and yet still effective. If you want to draw the ants into the jar, put a little of the borax free sugar solution leading up the jar so that they will find the rest of it quicker

July 6, 2013 at 3:42 pm
(60) MRB says:

I used a sugar and Borax mixture last night and ants immediately started swarming it. I placed it in a plastic yogurt container cover, and it looked like hundreds of ants died. I woke up this morning and all of the ants that looked dead were gone. Can somebody please explain?

July 7, 2013 at 11:52 pm
(61) Elizabeth says:

I used the ground up cloves and it worked!!

July 10, 2013 at 7:19 am
(62) mike says:

this is unreal-
I have spent around 150.00/year for many many years on the crap they sell at the big box stores. These produts may have been working to some degree over the years but when certain foods are left out they still find a way into the house.
Yesterday, i spent less than 10.00 on this amazingly simple recipe and this morning they are gone.
Wow-Thanks-this is great

July 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm
(63) Sage says:

Does the 20 Mule team Borax work? Thats what I bought to use

July 17, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(64) Tee says:

Thanks all for ur testimonies…I can’t wait for morning to go get boric acid…my skin is crawling at their sight on my kitchen counter…will keep u posted…….

July 21, 2013 at 9:40 am
(65) Prunelle123 says:

hello, we recently moved to florida from europe, and the home we rent is infested with ants. Little tiny ones in the kitchen loves only cakes, if I remove their food they disappear. The other ones in the rooms, they love my daughter’s dirty underwear (!!!), we found douzaines of them on the bed also. They have two size and they bite! the first ones must be sugar ants, but what kind are the others?Someone has an idea?
Any way I will try both baits and I hope they will go…
thank you for your answers!

July 22, 2013 at 4:03 pm
(66) Susan B. says:

The ants were so bad at my desk that they were crawling on me intermittently – ewwwww. They also have been in my kitchen for quite awhile on and off. I’ve tried the Terro ant baits (which are good, but they are still here!) So, at the suggestion of this website, I tried a mixture.

Ok, I used three teaspoons of Borax mixed in with grape jelly (hey, it’s what I had). The ants came and SWARMED it like they were going to a bar with free beer. You could almost hear them yelling, “Hey Joe! You just GOTTA try this stuff!”. This morning they are GONE. Not one ant. I’m just going to leave it out and see if any others wander along.

In the kitchen I didn’t see any eating the stuff; but maybe my Terro baits got rid of them. Can you post a picture here – cause I took a picture of the “belly up to the bar” ants. They were lovin’ it (but not for long!).

I’ll check back with any updates if needed. Thanks everyone!

July 23, 2013 at 4:31 pm
(67) Prunelle 123 says:

Ok, so I tried both of the baits. In the kitchen, one of the nest of the tiny ones (seems to be ghosts ants) must be dead. In the outside, the just loved peanut butter with terro!and two nest are gone. But now, it remains just a few ants (I think they are fire ants), but they don’t touch any more the bites… I tried with sausages, with meat, with butter… They don’t seems interested any more… Some one has an idea?
By the way, ghost ants love much more meat!
I saw a few fire ants in the kitchen wondering around, so I put peanut butter baits and meat baits and they are like a crowd on it!
Why the one outside don’t want them any more?!

July 27, 2013 at 8:14 pm
(68) karen says:

MRB…those ants you thought were dead were actually sleeping. The worker ants actually take HUNDREDS of tiny power naps all day and night. I checked this out last year. If you see a “dead” one tap it lightly….you’ll wake it up and it will take off!!!!!!!!!

July 31, 2013 at 4:08 am
(69) Donna says:

Instant Grits will work….mix with some powdered sugar and put in a shallow dish or jar lid….they cannot digest the grits. They also carry the grits back to the colony and waa-lah

July 31, 2013 at 4:12 am
(70) Donna says:

Instant Grits laced with sugar….place in shallow container, jar lid and sprinkle a little on the counter around container. The ants cannot digest the grits and carry their find back to the colony…..

August 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm
(71) Liz says:

I can’t wait to try the jelly/ borox. I do have a question though- the ants I see are, I think, sugar ants, but they NEVER are in a line. Frankly, I have gotten the sense that they aren’t as ;organized’ as other ants. It has taken almost a month of seeing 1-4 anywhere from kitchen to a bathroom, and now, suddenly, quite a few have found their way to the cabinet with the dry cat food. My cleaning habits haven’t changed, and what is funny is that I can leave a coffee cup in the sink with sugar residue at bottom, and they don’t go for that! Is it possible I have a type of ant that isn’t as attracted to sugar? Ant reason for me to think that these particular ants won’t even go back to the nest and the borox/ jelly will just kill the ones in the immediate area?
Thanks. Leave it to me to have atypical ants… :)

August 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm
(72) insects says:

This article contains information on how to determine if they are sugar ants or protein/grease ants, and how to make borox bait for both kinds. http://insects.about.com/od/HouseholdPests/a/How-To-Make-And-Use-Homemade-Ant-Baits.htm

August 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm
(73) LAURA says:

OMG! I tried the mint jelly and boric acid mix last night on the sugar ants that have been terrorizing us over a month. It only took like 30 minutes before the strips of tape I placed in the path of the ants were covered with sugar ants. I had tried combat ant baits and some other spray and had no luck. the ants are attracted to the mint jelly I guess. It is amazing! two thumbs up for this one! I plan to strip the tape today and lay out some more to finish the job. Just be sure you place the tape in the path of the ants. I had a couple of strips of tape that I placed around the house where there were no ants and those strips had no ants on them. Also the paste of boric acid and mint jelly hardens over night so you can just pull the strips of tape up and throw them away!

September 2, 2013 at 11:55 am
(74) Bev H says:

Does it matter if you use boric acid or borax soap?

September 9, 2013 at 12:06 am
(75) Dave says:

I actually like these guys, I have random itches that are worse then their bite and they clean up any food stuff that gets spilled around or left in the sink. They also eat cockroach and beetle eggs so I see non of those species around the house. Also they are so easy to eradicate, once I had a single lizard somehow get into my apartment, the ants where gone for about 2 weeks after the lizard finally escaped. I did accidentally leave some jellied dates out once and they where covered in these guys but just use a good small piece of Tupperware and they aren’t an issue anymore there either.

For those who are still terrorized borax soap in some sugar syrup and they are toast. Mint Jelly is just for the oder and sugar content, the important piece being the sugar content of the mixer and the boron within the boric acid and borax

From wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron
In biology, borates have low toxicity in mammals (similar to table salt), but are more toxic to arthropods and are used as insecticides

January 10, 2014 at 11:19 pm
(76) pam says:

We used strawberry jam mixed with hot shot on a paper plate…it worked great!

February 23, 2014 at 5:43 pm
(77) lynne says:

Great info. I use the Terro…found a bunch coming in from the plug in the wall, coming down the cord..made it into a little highway. dropped about 8 drops of the terro,on the cord, immediately they went to it. This morning all the Terro is gone..had about 20 or so ants still…put some more drops out.

I found that cinnamon around the door sprinkled where they come in through the cracks, keeps them out. I like the smell better than cloves. My cats dont like the cinnamon either. I WILL BAIT FIRST THOUGH..gonna use the jar idea because……………….

My cats love, love love to eat the sugar ants! My first instinct is to squish a few before I bait. The cats are there in an instant trying to get to my fingers. So I would squish a bunch and let them lick them off my fingers lol. One year, ants were coming in my bedroom via a low outlet. I didnt know until I noticed my cats licking all around the outlet. Uh, oh….had to tape that one up. To them they are better than cat nip…….they roll around on the floor where I squished em…

February 24, 2014 at 1:16 pm
(78) Xanadu says:

I have a red ant that I adore. Same one has been around over 40 years! Doesn’t eat much, never a bother, kids love here. I didn’t mention that her last name is Redd. And she goes by Redd Aunt to all her nieces & nephews, front license plate on the car, email.

March 13, 2014 at 12:53 am
(79) Susie says:

I heard about this from a friend. I was reluctant to try it as I worried about my cat licking it up. But the ant problem as been driving me crazy!! I decided to put the mixture on the bench on a piece of plastic bag taped down, then I put the electric frypan over the top(it has little legs) so the ants can get to the mixture, but not the cat. I so hope it works – the feedback form this site has been encouraging.

March 15, 2014 at 6:32 am
(80) Tricia says:

OMG!!! I hate these little brown ants. Have been seeing them just around my sink for a couple of weeks now and put out ant traps. They are still around. Woke up this am and there were tons of them, the most I have ever seen at one time. Need to do something so going to try this mint jelly/boric acid mixture. Can’t spend 20 mins every morning killing those suckers! lol Finger corssed!!!!