1. Education
Debbie Hadley

Brown Recluse Bite? Grab a Stun Gun and Zap Away the Pain

By December 22, 2008

While Googling some information on brown recluse bites, my eyes were immediately drawn to two words that seemed out of place - stun gun. As in, "uses a stun gun to treat brown recluse bites," a snippet from an Arkansas newspaper article. That certainly aroused my curiosity.

Brown recluse spider
Brown recluse spider
Photo: CDC

Before I continue, let me get this disclaimer out of the way. Should you decide to shock yourself with a stun gun or other similar device after reading my blog, I won't be held responsible. I'm not telling you to try it.

Dr. Stan Abrams, a family physician who's been in practice since 1973, reportedly uses a stun gun to treat brown recluse bites all the time, and with success. He's even created a website to share his stun gun technique with others. According to his site, there is a biological basis for using a shock to destroy the spider venom:

• The current will influence the hydrogen bonds of the enzymes, destroying their secondary and tertiary structure.
  • The high voltage, low amperage current applied will reduce metal ions and zinc, copper, magnesium, iron, or calcium ions, which are firmly bound to some venom enzymes and are mandatory cofactors for these enzymes.
  • The electric particles interfere with the membrane as well as the positive charged polypeptides, decreasing their cytotoxic properties.

Word of the stun gun remedy seems to have spread and joined the ranks of other home remedies for bites. Some folks who live in brown recluse territory have added stun guns to their medicine cabinets.

I've never experienced a brown recluse bite myself, but I imagine the pain must be pretty severe if it drives people to whip out a stun gun and zap themselves with 100,000 volts of electricity. And I'd really like to meet the first guy who decided to try electrocuting himself to ease his spider bite pain.

Comments

December 22, 2008 at 6:51 pm
(1) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

Can’t help but wonder what else might get zapped in the process such as perhaps braincells?

December 23, 2008 at 8:41 am
(2) Beth says:

My first thought was, “Who came up with this, and who tried it first”…. Whew, Debbie! I know insects are exciting, but who’d have thought they were so electrifying!!

August 15, 2009 at 11:35 am
(3) Jim Walker says:

I have used a MODIFIED stun gun to cure spider bites. You do not just use it as intended or the patient will pass out. The first person did it by accident.

June 15, 2010 at 11:49 pm
(4) GuardianSelfDefense says:

I’m hearing more and more about mini stun guns being used in the treatment of spiders. As a seller of stun guns I can’t imagine having to shock myself over and over again.

August 4, 2011 at 11:50 pm
(5) Jim says:

I have heard of using a stun gun on the lowest setting to not only cure spider bites, but also snake bites. There is a case where a woman was bit by a black mamba and they used a stun gun to treat her. Only a hand full of people have ever survived such a bite. All it takes is two zaps on the lowest setting(one would probably suffice), which, by the way, will only make your muscle reflexes jump. From what I understand, it’s not a process you repeat until the wound heals, but just a one time jolt to break up the harmful venom into the basic enzymes, proteins, etc. which are actually beneficial to the human body.

January 22, 2012 at 8:27 am
(6) PersonalSafetySource.Com says:

I first learned of this technique when I was at a gun show. A Dr. came by and told me my products had been used to treat brown recluse spider bites.

A recent customer showed me his pictures he had taken with his cell phone about a year ago. Amazing to say the least!!!!!

July 1, 2012 at 2:46 am
(7) Mom in desert West says:

I’ve experienced this remedy firsthand, for a serious spider bite. The key is the extremely low amperage. My husband created a low amp, low voltage stun apparatus. It was worth the few minor shocks I received to heal the bite.

Three and a half volts from a Double-A battery effectively draw venom, and is low enough for a child to withstand, in an emergency.

July 14, 2012 at 12:52 am
(8) Mark says:

There are some ignorant people claiming to de-bunk this. But I know for a fact electricity can be used to hell all kinds of infections.

I have used a Zapper (not a stun gun) to make pimples go away. I also used it on a spider bite onetime. The Zapper is made to be worn on te wrist and send lower voltage pulses into the blood as it passes by during normal circulation. It will kill viruses, bacteria and even some parasites. HIV patient have used it. Some other forms of Zappers also have cured herpes.

So I have not doubt that this would work from a stun gun on a spider bite or even a snake bite. An at the worst it not going to kill the person for trying.

September 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm
(9) Chris Duffy says:

We purchased a mini stun gun from Dr Abrams years ago. I have used it 4 times since. Three times for recluse bites and once for a red tail wasp sting. Each time it obliterated the pain and itching immediately and it didn’t come back. No antibiotics needed for the worst case which involved 80% of my husbands abdomen. Immediately following one treatment the red are shrunk to a few inches across and got better everyday after with no further treatment.

You must alter the voltage of the stun gun, don’t use one straight off the shelf. Or buy one from Dr. Abrams.

~Chris

June 16, 2013 at 5:38 am
(10) Tim says:

I read an article in “Field and Stream” magazine years ago about using electricity on bird dogs with snake bites. The article suggested zapping the bite area on dog to neutralize the poison. The theory was that the electric shock changed the polarity of the poison, thus neutralizing it’s negative effects. I have not seen anything else on the subject until now. I have often wondered why I haven’ t heard any more on the subject.

November 28, 2013 at 3:00 am
(11) deepak says:

A stun gun is a device which gives out electric shock to a person who attacks you. It consists of a safety button which you have to turn it on and make it touch to the personís body that attacks you. This will make the person lose his consciousness or be paralyzed for about half an hour and during this time one can easily run to a safe place or call for help. This happens because the shock takes out all the energy of the body as it affects the nervous system.